The John Libby Family Association held its first Family Reunion on September 7, 1904 at Central Park in Somersworth, New Hampshire under the name of "Sons and Daughters of Benjamin Libby." In a few years, the name was changed to the one presently used. Except for the World War II years, annual Reunions have been held for the past 90 plus years. In recent years, the Reunions have been held in the John Libby Memorial Hall which is the Parish House for the First Congregational Church, Black Point Road, Scarborough, Maine. Our Homestead Corporation contributed $7,500 toward the building fund for this Memorial Hall. As a result, there is a standing invitation to hold our Annual Meeting and Reunions there.†
A semi-annual (at least) newsletter is published and distributed to all members bringing news into a memberís home of the activities of our Association and various Libbys. Contributions of newsworthy material from the membership are always welcome. We try to include a feature story in each issue which will be of general interest to all members of the Libby Family. It is through the newsletter that information of the REUNION is disseminated.†
The Reunion and Annual Meeting is normally held on the fourth Saturday in September. Of recent years, the Reunion has commenced Friday evening with a supper prepared by the ladies of the First Church followed by social time. The highlight of Saturday is the Annual Meeting and the group luncheon.
Our Genealogical Committee has previously published VOL. II of THE LIBBY FAMILY 1882-1982. Contributions of information were received from many sources until the number of entities is nearly 6,000. VOL. II is comprised of two books and is currently available. It sells for $80.00 plus $4.65 shipping/handling.†
At our 1984 Reunion, a committee was formed to set up the Libby Archives. This committee has the dual purpose of collecting Libby memorabilia and finding a suitable repository where this interesting material may be kept for future generations. This activity has brought the Libby Association into a close working relationship with the Scarborough Historical Society.†